Alaska to Africa

I am: a child of God...small-town girl...Upstate-New-Yorker by birth...fisherwoman...outdoors enthusiast...recent college graduate...child-care provider...and soon-to-be certified teacher.

My newest and most exciting adventure (to-date) is a missions trip through Visiting Orphans to Ethiopia and Uganda from July 18th - August 1st!



Sunday, July 11, 2010

Acacia Necklaces

As a way to help me raise the remaining $ needed to cover the cost of my domestic airfare, Visiting Orphans supplied me with the idea and supplies for a really awesome fundraiser! VO has these beautiful necklaces that have been made by widows and single moms in an impoverished community in Kasana, Uganda. VO has named them "acacia necklaces" because you can just picture these women sitting underneath an acacia tree in their community, making these necklaces. Each necklace is made up of beads that are made out of recycled paper - they are so beautiful, and each one is different!


The way the fundraiser works, is I give a necklace to someone in exchange for a $20 donation. From that donation, part of it goes towards my trip, part of it goes to VO to help with orphan care around the world, and (most importantly) part of it goes to the women in Uganda who made them. Each donation for these necklaces is able to give these women a source of income.

My mom has been able to show them to people at work, we set them up at our Tastefully Simple fundraiser (more on that later!), and my sister Wendy even took some to her church. At this point, we've only got about 20 left (out of 50!) They have definitely been a big hit. With that said, if you think you would like one of your own, let me know. One (or more!) can be yours with a donation of only $20 each :)


Thanks to Amanda from Visiting Orphans for setting me up with these, and to my mom and Wendy for helping spread the word about them!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment